Monday, November 8

Texting and Driving

Last week on my way to the library, I was shocked to see police blocking the road with flares.  There was obviously some type of accident, but there were no crashed cars in the area sectioned off.  I asked people about it walking in, yet everyone was just as confused as me.  Of course I was very curious as to what had happened on my campus.  Later, I realized that the accident had been one of the things that I am always worried will happen.  A car hit a pedestrian.  This link to the Daily Campus article explains it all: http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/student-struck-by-car-breaks-pelvis-1.1743035
A girl was hit a) because she didn't walk across the crosswalk and b) because the driver looked down to check her phone.  In all probability, the driver was texting and didn't see the girl walking across the street in the dark.  Now, I'm not saying that I'm innocent and never text while I drive, but I realize the dangers of it.  A girl was almost killed because of the drivers inattention to the road!  The other day one of my professors told the class that he read an article stating that texting is even worse than drunk driving.  What's wrong with us when we can't even take a break from our phones for ten minutes to drive?  We're putting our lives and the people around us at risk when we get behind the wheel.  Shouldn't we be a bit more careful?  Technology is a great thing, but their needs to be a limit.  Another thing: young people aren't the only culprits.  My mother is always texting on her phone, and when she is, you might as well be talking to a wall.  She is completely oblivious to the world around her.  I think that it is good that police are starting to crack down on texting and driving, especially with the "no phone usage around schools."  I can't imagine hitting someone all because I was texting something stupid to a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment